Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former prince and younger brother of King Charles III, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, marking the first time in modern history that a senior British royal has been taken into police custody.

According to the BBC, vehicles believed to be unmarked police cars arrived early Thursday morning at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Mountbatten-Windsor has been living. The arrest came on his 66th birthday.

Thames Valley Police confirmed that officers arrested “a man in his 60s from Norfolk” as part of an ongoing investigation. Authorities said they are also carrying out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk.

“As part of the investigation, we have today arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” the force said in a statement. “The man remains in police custody at this time.”

Police added that they would not name the suspect, following national guidance, and urged media outlets and the public to avoid publishing anything that could interfere with the active case.

Investigation Linked to Jeffrey Epstein

The arrest follows a complaint alleging that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential material with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor’s ties to Epstein have long cast a shadow over the royal family. The two had a friendship that continued even after Epstein’s 2008 conviction for procuring a child for prostitution in the United States.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Department of Justice released more than 3 million pages of documents related to Epstein — often referred to as the “Epstein files.” Mountbatten-Windsor was mentioned and pictured multiple times in the records.

Among the materials was a photograph that appears to show him with Virginia Giuffre, who had alleged she was forced to have sex with him as a teenager. Mountbatten-Windsor had previously claimed the image was doctored and denied any wrongdoing.

In 2022, he reached a financial settlement with Giuffre. The agreement did not include an apology or admission of liability. Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025.

Royal Reaction

King Charles III released a statement shortly after the news broke.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.”

He added that the royal family would fully support the legal process and would not comment further while the case remains active.

Mountbatten-Windsor was formally stripped of his royal title and public duties in October following renewed scrutiny over his relationship with Epstein. He had already stepped back from official duties in 2019 after a controversial BBC interview about the scandal.

Earlier this month, Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, also addressed the newly released Epstein documents through a spokesperson.

“Their Royal Highnesses have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations,” the statement said. “Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”

What Happens Next

Mountbatten-Windsor remains in police custody as investigators continue their inquiries. Authorities have not announced whether formal charges will be filed.

Legal experts say the investigation could take months, particularly given the scope of the newly released documents and the sensitivity surrounding the case.

For now, the focus shifts to the legal process — one that the King himself emphasized “must take its course.”


Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form