According to a person familiar with his decision, Cooper chose not to renew his role with the iconic Sunday night newsmagazine. In a statement, he said the move was driven largely by family priorities.
“Being a correspondent at ’60 Minutes’ has been one of the highlights of my career,” Cooper said. “For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible.”
Why Anderson Cooper Is Leaving ‘60 Minutes’
Cooper, who has worked at CNN for years, will now focus more fully on his responsibilities there. He anchors his long-running 8 p.m. program and hosts the Sunday longform series “The Whole Story.” He also produces a popular podcast centered on grief and loss.
Sources say Cooper had been in talks with CBS about renewing his contract in recent weeks. Ultimately, he decided to prioritize his CNN commitments and personal life.
CBS News responded Monday evening, saying it was “grateful” for Cooper’s dedication to the broadcast and added that “60 Minutes will be here if he ever wants to return.”
A Difficult Decision
People close to Cooper say leaving was not easy. His work on “60 Minutes” allowed him to step away from daily breaking news and dive deeper into longform storytelling — something he has often described as one of the most rewarding parts of his career.
For years, CBS also benefited from Cooper’s high profile at CNN. The network frequently allowed him to rebroadcast his “60 Minutes” reports on his CNN show, helping to expand the newsmagazine’s reach.
Turmoil at CBS News
Cooper’s departure comes during a turbulent period at CBS News. Since Bari Weiss took over as editor in chief after Paramount Skydance acquired her opinion outlet, The Free Press, the newsroom has faced significant internal changes.
Weiss has pushed for restructuring across the division, including reported staff reductions that could affect up to 15% of employees. Her leadership has reportedly led to tension between management and newsroom staff.
One controversial decision involved delaying a “60 Minutes” report by correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi about migrants deported under violent circumstances. The delay was reportedly tied to efforts to secure on-camera comment from a Trump administration official, despite prior outreach.
Legal and Corporate Pressure
The credibility of “60 Minutes” has also been tested in recent years. Paramount, seeking to clear the path for a corporate sale, agreed to pay a $16 million settlement to Donald Trump over a dispute related to the editing of a 2024 interview with then-Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris.
The settlement raised concerns inside CBS News. Two senior executives — executive producer Bill Owens and former CBS News CEO Wendy McMahon — reportedly suggested they could no longer fully shield the newsroom from corporate mandates.
There have also been internal discussions about shifting “60 Minutes” away from hard investigative journalism and toward more feature stories and celebrity profiles, which executives believe may perform better online.
What’s Next for ‘60 Minutes’ and Anderson Cooper?
Cooper appeared on Sunday’s broadcast during the “Last Minute” segment, a short closing feature introduced in 2022. It remains unclear whether that appearance was his final one in the program’s current 58th season.
For CBS, his exit represents another high-profile change during a period of uncertainty. For Cooper, it signals a renewed focus on CNN and family life after nearly 20 years of contributing to one of television’s most respected news programs.
As “60 Minutes” continues to evolve under new leadership, viewers will be watching closely to see how the iconic broadcast adapts — and whether Cooper might one day return.
Tags:
News
.jpeg)