Brendan Carr Targets Talk Shows in Equal Time Rule Crackdown

Brendan Carr Targets Talk Shows in Equal Time Rule Crackdown


The Federal Communications Commission is reviewing whether ABC’s daytime talk show The View violated federal broadcast rules after hosting Democratic U.S. Senate candidate James Talarico, according to FCC Chairman Brendan Carr.

Carr confirmed Wednesday that the agency has “an enforcement action underway,” though he declined to share details. The scrutiny centers on the Equal Time Rule, a long-standing FCC regulation requiring broadcast stations that give airtime to one political candidate to offer equal opportunities to their opponents if they request it.

What’s the issue?

Talarico, who is running in Texas, recently appeared on The View. While the show has also hosted Rep. Jasmine Crockett, one of Talarico’s Democratic primary opponents, questions have surfaced about whether ABC properly handled equal time obligations.

Under FCC rules, broadcasters — including over-the-air television and radio stations — must offer comparable airtime to rival candidates. However, many talk shows have historically assumed they were exempt under what’s known as the “bona fide news” exemption, which covers news programs and certain interview formats.

Last month, the FCC issued new guidance cautioning that programs like The View, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and Jimmy Kimmel Live! should not automatically assume they qualify for that exemption when featuring political candidates.

The Colbert controversy

The issue gained national attention earlier this week when host Stephen Colbert said on air that CBS lawyers advised against broadcasting an interview with Talarico because it might trigger equal time requirements.

CBS later disputed that claim, stating Colbert was not prohibited from airing the interview but was given legal guidance that it could require offering airtime to two other candidates. The interview ultimately ran on YouTube, which falls outside FCC oversight because the rule applies only to licensed broadcast stations.

Carr dismissed the controversy as overblown, saying there was “no censorship here at all” and suggesting that Talarico used the situation to generate media attention and fundraising. Talarico’s campaign said it raised $2.5 million following the Colbert appearance — a record for the campaign.

On social media, Talarico accused President Donald Trump and his FCC of blocking the interview. In reality, the decision was made by CBS and the show’s legal team, not the FCC.

Political tensions flare

Carr sharply criticized media coverage of the dispute, calling it an example of what he sees as bias in national news outlets. He also suggested that a host’s political donations could be considered when evaluating whether an appearance is motivated by partisan purposes — a factor in determining whether a show qualifies for the news exemption.

Colbert has participated in Democratic fundraisers, and Kimmel is scheduled to headline an event for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee next month.

Carr emphasized that the Equal Time Rule applies to all broadcast outlets — including talk radio, which often features conservative hosts such as Sean Hannity and Hugh Hewitt — not just television.

Pushback from within the FCC

The commission’s lone Democrat, Anna Gomez, strongly criticized the investigation. She argued that even the threat of enforcement could chill speech and intimidate broadcasters.

“The threats are the point,” Gomez said, suggesting the commission would struggle to defend enforcement action in court because of First Amendment concerns.

She pointed to past FCC rulings, including a 2006 decision finding that The Tonight Show with Jay Leno qualified for the exemption when then-California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared during his reelection campaign.

In another example, NBC provided equal time to the Trump campaign in 2024 after Saturday Night Live featured then–Vice President Kamala Harris shortly before Election Day.

What happens next?

Carr said neither The View nor The Late Show has formally asked the FCC for a ruling on whether they qualify for the exemption. The agency will continue reviewing any complaints that arise.

The broader debate now centers on how far the FCC should go in policing political interviews on entertainment programs — and whether stricter enforcement risks crossing into free speech territory.

For now, talk show hosts, broadcasters, and political campaigns alike are watching closely as the FCC weighs its next move.


Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form